Saturday, February 18, 2012

Small World

The art teacher at the American International School of Zagreb that I’m replacing is actually from the city of Richland in Washington State and went to Western Washington University. One of the math teachers went to Central Washington University and he did his student teaching at Davis High School in Yakima, which is Eisenhower’s rival (where I teach now). Another teacher who is going to be my “buddy” is originally from Croatia and has spent some time in Yakima and Seattle. He is my “buddy” because the school connects new teachers with current teachers to make the transition smoother. If that wasn’t enough, there is another teacher at AISZ from New Jersey whose mother’s maiden name was Mirkovic(h) and her family was from an Island called Susak which is north North of Dugi Otok where my family originated from. Are we related? Who knows. Stay tuned!

Update on my Croatian lessons. They are progressively getting tougher and they are demanding more time for mastery. It’s taking me now about a week for each lesson. I’m spending about an hour or more each day on it. I’m currently on lesson 10 of 30. At this pace I should be done with all 30 by the time I get there. I want to push myself so that I can use the language in its context. It’s all a mystery right now because I never learned another language before and I don’t know how my learning disability will play in this process.

3 comments:

  1. Sam, Susie and I are excited for you two! It's great seeing you step out in faith and live life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys. You are welcome to come visit us when we are there. We will have an extra room. We have seen that you guys have done some traveling as of late. If you go again you can use Croatia as pitstop. Keep us in your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world only gets smaller once you are out in it...there is a family here that my grandparents know and they are from my hometown...it's so weird! We'll be praying for you as you get ready to head out. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete